World Cup winner Iaquinta handed two-year prison sentence for gun possession

Former Italy and Juventus striker Vincenzo Iaquinta has been handed a two-year prison sentence for illegal gun possession, but accusations linking him with the notorious Calabrian mafia the Ndrangheta were dismissed by a judge. 

The former striker, who was a part of the Italy squad which won the 2006 World Cup, was found to be in possession of two guns and 126 bullets, which the court said he transferred to his father Giuseppe Iaquinta without informing authorities.

Giuseppe Iaquinta was later banned from owning firearms in 2012 due to alleged links with the Ndrangheta. He was sentenced to 19 years in prison on Wednesday for mafia association as part of a crackdown which has resulted in 160 arrests.

Vincenzo Iaquinta is adamant his family have nothing to do with…

Fabregas: Wenger like a father to me

Chelsea midfielder Cesc Fabregas has described Arsene Wenger as a father figure and insists he still has a lot of affection for Arsenal.

The Spain international spent eight years under Wenger in north London before being sold back to Barcelona in 2011.

Fabregas became a leading figure at the Gunners but they declined to take up the option to sign him back in 2014, allowing him to move to rivals Chelsea, where he has since won two Premier League titles in three seasons.

Speaking ahead of Sunday s derby clash between the sides at Stamford Bridge, the 30-year-old says Arsenal still hold a special place in his heart despite his decision to sign for Jose Mourinho three years ago.

Asked if Arsenal were like an old girlfriend , he told Sky Sports: I wouldn t cal…

Koscielny to quit France duty after World Cup

France centre-back Laurent Koscielny is to retire from international football after next year s World Cup.

The Arsenal star has been a regular part of the squad since making his international debut in November 2011 and could pick up his 50th cap in one of Les Bleus upcoming friendlies against Wales or Germany.

Koscielny was particularly prominent in France s qualifying for the World Cup, playing 90 minutes in eight of their 10 matches.

But he accepts that all good things must come to an end and pointed out he will be 33 shortly after the climax of the World Cup, so feels it will be time to call it quits.

There is an end to everything, he told reporters ahead of Friday s meeting with Wales. 

After the World Cup I will be almost 33 years old and …

Emma Hayes to leave Chelsea at end of the season

Chelsea boss Emma Hayes will depart the Blues at the end of the season after more than a decade in charge, the Women’s Super League club have announced.

Hayes is among the most respected and successful managers in women’s football, having led Chelsea to six WSL titles, five FA Cups, two League Cups, one Spring Series trophy and one Community Shield.

The 47-year-old, who steered Chelsea to an historic double on two occasions and achieved one domestic treble, has previously been linked to the vacant United States women’s national team role currently occupied by interim boss Twila Kilgore.

A club statement read: “Chelsea FC can today confirm that highly decorated Chelsea Women’s manager Emma Hayes OBE will depart the club at the end of the season to pursue…

Casillas tastes defeat in 1000th match

Porto s Iker Casillas made his 1000th professional appearance but the iconic goalkeeper s milestone match ended in defeat.

Having made his debut for Real Madrid in 1999, Casillas stepped out for the 1000th time in his glittering career, however, it did not go according to plan as Portuguese giants Porto were swept aside 2-0 by Belenenses Monday.

Casillas was helpless to deny Nathan and Maurides as Porto were left a point adrift of leaders Benfica in the Primeira Liga.

The 36-year-old – Spain s most-capped player with 167 internationals – emerged from Madrid s youth system 19 years ago, going on to amass 725 appearances for his boyhood club.

  jogos de
 1. jogo: Athletic Bilbao-Real Madrid (12/09/1999)
 1000.º jogo: CF Belenenses-FC Porto (02…

John Terry: Highs and lows

Following John Terry s announcement that he will call time on his Chelsea career at the end of this season, Omnisport examines the highs and lows of his decorated spell at Stamford Bridge.

HIGHS

Sinking Barcelona

Terry was named UEFA defender of the year in 2005 – an accolade he would collect twice more in 2008 and 2009.

Already established as Chelsea s leader and a member of England s national team, Barcelona s visit to Stamford Bridge in March 2005 was the game when Terry announced himself among Europe s elite.

Nursing a 2-1 aggregate deficit, Chelsea surged into a 3-0 lead before a Ronaldinho brace pegged them back. Cue a trademark 76th-minute header from Terry to spark scenes of delirium.

First Premier League title

Terry s presence…

Ronaldo slams ´fake news´ amid latest tax case claims

Cristiano Ronaldo has hit out at the spreading of fake news in an apparent reference to the latest claims surrounding his tax fraud case.

The 33-year-old was accused last year of evading €14.7million in taxes relating to his image rights between 2011 and 2014.

According to reports in Spain on Monday, Ronaldo s legal team made a settlement offer of €3.8m, plus admission of wrongdoing, which was rejected by the country s tax authorities.

The Portugal international appeared in court last year to respond to the allegations, insisting  I always pay what I have to pay; I do things the right way and I will continue to do so . His representatives, Gestifute, have also persistently denied any wrongdoing.

The Real Madrid star took to Instagram on Monday to h…

Crystal Palace v Watford: Flores stresses job is safe ahead of FA Cup semi-final

Quique Sanchez Flores has insisted his future as Watford head coach is secure and urged supporters to focus on Sunday s FA Cup semi-final with Crystal Palace at Wembley.

Speculation has grown that the Spaniard could lose his job at the end of the season after just three Premier League victories since the turn of the year has seen the Hornets slip to 12th.

But Flores was quick to commit himself to Vicarage Road as he looks to take the club to a first FA Cup final since 1984.

My future is completely happy, Flores told reporters. Because I have an amazing family, amazing kids, I am happy with my profession and I am completely happy with Watford fans.

So my future is completely safe and is not important in this conversation. This conversation is about this …

Ferdinand drops social media hint over Evra return

Rio Ferdinand has hinted Patrice Evra could be set for a return to Manchester United.

Evra spent over eight years at Old Trafford, winning the Premier League five times and lifting the Champions League with United in 2008.

He left for Juventus in 2014 and has since achieved two Serie A and Coppa Italia doubles with the Turin club.

But retired former United defender Ferdinand indicated Evra could be on his way back to the club, captioning an Instagram post with a picture of him and the Frenchman celebrating: Throwing it out there  @patrice.evra I m hearing thru social media u coming home bro?!? Talk to me! #MUFC

Christopher Nkunku says he will ‘give everything’ for Chelsea

Christopher Nkunku has vowed to “give everything” for Chelsea after completing his move to Stamford Bridge.

The France forward this week signed a six-year contract with the Blues as the club finalised his reported £63million switch from RB Leipzig.

The 25-year-old had committed to moving to Stamford Bridge when he signed a pre-contract agreement last December.

Welcome to Chelsea, Christopher!

— Chelsea FC (@ChelseaFC)

Chelsea will hope he can bolster an attack that scored only 38 goals in the Premier League last season.

“We can say that I am a hard worker,” Nkunku told the club’s website, chelseafc.com. “I will give everything for the club, for the fans and to help the team bring some trophies, to give the best of my footb…